Dental veneers are thin layers of composite resin or porcelain which are fitted right onto the surface of the tooth. They are very popular among patients with discolored, crooked or misaligned teeth. Veneers are made to give you a beautiful, straight white smile. Most people don’t know there are two different types of veneers to choose from. Cosmetic dentist Dr. Bryan Cramm of Pacific Park Dental in Aliso Viejo, CA offers some insight on both types of veneers.
The two types of veneers are composite resin veneers and porcelain veneers. The following are facts on both types of veneers.
- Last about 4-8 years with proper maintenance.
- Made of high quality reinforced plastic. Given today’s high-end technology these veneers look and feel very good, but under pressure they can damage quite easily.
- Have a porous surface, which can affect their look after years of use.
- Stain more easily. Often needing whitening treatments to maintain their appearance.
- Chip easily.
- Porcelain veneers on the other hand last up to 25 years and do not require as much maintenance.
- Made of high quality porcelain, natural in color and more resistant.
- Maintain strength and appearance over several decades.
- Do not stain because of the non-porous material.
Ultimately the choice is yours as to which type of veneer you choose to give you that beautiful smile you have always dreamed of. For more information on both types of veneers and to see which is right for you, contact Pacific Park Dental at 949-831-4193. Visit our website www.pacificparkdental.com.
According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, certain foods naturally cleanse, brighten, and defend against bacteria that can harm your teeth and gums.
The following 10 foods were recommended by the academy for a healthy, brighter smile.
- Pineapples can help whiten teeth. Pineapples contain an enzyme called bromelain, which acts as a natural stain remover. Bromelain also helps break up plaque.
- Ginger can protect against periodontal disease, an inflammatory process that causes the loss of bone and supportive connective tissue in your mouth.
- Carrots contain vitamin A, which is needed for healthy tooth enamel. Eating them raw stimulates saliva, your mouth’s natural cleanser.
- Basil is a natural antibiotic that reduces bacteria in the mouth.
- Cheese is rich in protein, calcium, and phosphorus, all of which help reduce acid in your mouth.
- Sesame seeds help “scrub” away the plaque on your teeth. Chewing nuts can also provide this coarse, scrubbing action. Sesame seeds also contain bone and teeth-strengthening calcium.
- Shiitake mushrooms contain a compound called lentinan, which inhibits bacteria from growing in your mouth.
- Onions contain the sulfur compounds, thiosulfinates and thiosulfonates, which reduce bacteria that cause tooth decay. Eating them raw is a must as cooking will destroy these tooth-friendly compounds.
- Salmon not only provides calcium but also vitamin D, another nutrient needed for healthy bones and teeth.
- Broccoli contains iron, which helps form an acid-resistant film or barrier that can protect the enamel of your teeth.
For more information on cosmetic dentistry or other ways to brighten your smile, contact Pacific Park Dental of Aliso Viejo, CA at 949-831-4193. Visit their website at www.pacificparkdental.com.
Are you tired of having yellow, stained teeth, despite your strict daily dental hygiene? You are not alone. There are millions of people suffering from the same problem. So if you brush, floss and visit your dentist regularly then why are your teeth still discolored? This happens because the outer layers of your teeth get stained over the years by consumption of beverages with caffeine, soda, wine and smoking. When these outside sources of staining are left to sit on the teeth all day until your next brushing, the dentin on your teeth becomes yellowish or darkened. The best way to help your stained discolored teeth is with one of the easiest cosmetic dentistry procedures, professional teeth whitening.
Contributing factors to yellowing, stained teeth:
- Tetracycline based antibiotics used before the age of 8 years old
- Excessive exposure to fluoride as a child
- Internal bleeding due to trauma
- Discoloration due to a health condition
- Natural aging- as time goes by enamel gets thinner and thinner and will get a yellowish hue
Simple rules to live by to try and stop the yellowing process:
- Visit your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings
- Rinse your mouth out with water several times throughout the day
- Use toothpaste with whitening agents
One of the best ways to whiten your teeth is to visit your dentist for professional tooth whitening. You deserve a beautiful white smile. Contact Dr. Bryan Cramm of Pacific Park Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Aliso Viejo, CA 949-831-4193 or www.bryancrammdds.com.
If you are an adult who needs braces, you may be apprehensive about getting big metal braces that are not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. You want to feel confident about your smile not only after your braces come off, but during. Invisalign invisible braces provide straightening treatment while looking your best!
Invisalign works by using a series of custom-made, nearly undetectable aligners. Whether your teeth are crowded, too far apart or have shifted, Invisalign may be right for you. Upon an initial examination, Dr. Bryan Cramm DDS of Pacific Park Dental, Aliso Viejo, CA will decide if Invisalign is right for you. He will then write a treatment plan and take an impression of your teeth. Thanks to the latest advances in 3-D computer technology, Invisalign carefully translates Dr. Cramm’s instructions into a series of precisely customized aligners. The aligners will move your teeth gradually week by week until you achieve the smile you have always desired.
Also, it’s important to remember that even though you may want to straighten your teeth for cosmetic reasons, straighter teeth and a proper bite are beneficial to periodontal health.
Don’t wait another day! Get those braces you’ve always needed without compromising your confidence. Make an appointment with Pacific Park Dental at 949-831-4193 or www.pacificparkdental.com.
Cosmetic dentistry can create the bright natural looking smile you deserve. Whether you are interested in a complete smile design, restoring chipped teeth or want to whiten, we can improve your smile. Cosmetic Dentistry is composed of several different types of dental procedures. Pacific Park Dental in Aliso Viejo, CA offers some information on the cosmetic procedures she offers.
Porcelain Veneers – Fingernail-thin shells are adhered to the front surface of the tooth. Veneers can fix several aesthetic problems with just one treatment.
Whitening – There are at home whitening kits and in office whitening treatments. At-home bleaching kits use carbamide peroxide solutions to oxidize and bleach your teeth. In-office bleaching (also called chair side, light-activated or one-hour bleaching) uses hydrogen peroxide gels and a heat or light source; these treatments lighten your teeth by six to eight shades in one to three visits, and sometimes less.
Bonding – With the use of bonding gaps, chips, broken teeth, spots and discoloration can all be repaired with bonding. You can regain your smile and confidence.
Invisalign – The invisible way to straighten teeth. Using a series of custom-made, nearly undetectable aligners.
Laser Gum Contouring – Gum contouring removes some of the tissue to eliminate a “gummy” smile.
Whatever cosmetic procedure you are interested in, call the Pacific Park Dental at 949-831-4193. Visit their website at www.pacificparkdental.com.
Crowns address aesthetic needs, restore tooth function, and enhance the overall health of your mouth. In cases where teeth have large broken down fillings, a crown can protect and preserve the remaining natural tooth.
To enhance your smile, a metal-free, tooth-colored crown can also replace an older metal/porcelain crown. Following root canal therapy, a crown is typically placed over the remaining tooth structure to preserve aesthetic and tooth function.
For more information on Crowns or any other cosmetic or restorative dental procedure contact Pacific Park Dental of Aliso Viejo, CA 949-831-4193 or visit the website www.bryancrammdds.com.